Language Arts

Week of 2/5 - 2/9

We will begin our last unit of the trimester this week, comparison-and-contrast essay writing. This is a very quick 2-week unit.  We will learn how to inform an audience of the similarities and differences of two or more things.  This unit focuses on facts rather than opinion, like our previous two units did.

Mon. 2/5
Tue. 2/6
Wed. 2/7
Thu. 2/8
Fri. 2/9
Learning Target:
1) I can choose two topics that are unique yet share some similarities to write an essay.
Learning Target: 1) I can use a Venn diagram to organize similarities and differences of my topic.
Learning Target: 1) I can develop a topic with relevant facts, definitions, concrete details, quotations, or other information and examples.
2) I can organize my research into a block or point-by-point format for my comparison-and-
contrast essay
Learning Target: 1) I can demonstrate writing stamina by focusing on body paragraphs for an extended writing time.
Learning Target: 1) I can use an effective essay conclusion to bring my essay to a natural end.

Introduction to Compare/ Contrast Essay

Choosing and Narrowing a Topic

Polished Persuasive Essay Due

Using a Venn Diagram

Drafting Strategies:
Block Method OR
Point-by-Point Method

Beginning and Introduction

Writer’s Workshop

Drafting the body paragraphs

Drafting a strong conclusion in a comparison-and-contrast essay

No comments:

Post a Comment