Language Arts

Week of 10/2 - 10/6

We will be turning our attention back to our narratives and our mentor text, Where the Red Fern Grows, after our week hiatus from language arts.  We will be finishing up our rough drafts and beginning the revising stage of the writing process.

We will also do the beginning-of-year i-Ready assessment on Tuesday. Bring your own headphones if you can!


Mon. 10/2
Tue. 10/3
Wed. 10/4
Thu. 10/5
Fri. 10/6
Learning Target: I can decide if a sentence or section is relevant and necessary to my overall story. I can use these decisions to make revisions to my writing.
Learning Target: I can demonstrate my reading skills to determine current reading levels.
Learning Target: I can demonstrate the ability to have the subjects and verbs in my writing to agree.
Learning Target: 1) I can identify and explain motivations that cause character behaviors
2) I can add my voice and opinion to a discussion
Learning Target: I can identify sentences and sections that need details added or subtracted and make the appropriate changes.


Pruning the Bushes: How to determine what is necessary to your story.

Writing time & conferencing


i-Ready Reading Assessment


Grammar: Subject/Verb agreement

What’s your point-of-view?

Book Log check-in (book log should be up-to-date; this check will be done online through classroom)
Chapters 11-14 of Where the Red Fern Grows

What motivates characters to behave the way they do?

Socratic Seminar: We will discuss the following questions:
-Is the violence in the book justified?
-Is it necessary?
-Does Rawls handle it appropriately?

We will have a check for reading quiz for chapters 11-14


Experimenting with Narrative Endings

Drafting & Self-Revising Time


Rough Draft Finished

HW: PICK 1 SMALL SECTION (1/2 PG MOST) TO DISCUSS WITH PEERS IN CLASS ON MONDAY

No comments:

Post a Comment